It’s that time of the year again when the Easter Bunny is about to visit. The weather is perfect and this makes for the ideal time for some quality connection time with the family. This may also be a time to start creating your own family rituals, easter egg hunts, favourite holiday destinations, day trips, favourite meals.
Spending time together helps families in establishing warm, stable and responsive relationships, this is also fundamental to a child’s ongoing development and wellbeing. When a stable and responsive relationship is established with a young child, they feel safe and secure and this provides the child with the confidence to explore the world around them, to learn, to think and grow. This is where you are able to communicate, develop language, explore emotions and develop social skills.
Ideas on how to build a strong relationship with young children:
· Learn how to play together
· Read stories together and delight in experience
· Share meals together, maybe even cook together when old enough
· Support their developing independence in decision making, for example, choosing items of clothing
· Assist their learning about emotions by co-regulating
· If they are having trouble separating from you, then remember to talk about times when you have been apart before and then come back together again.
If you are interested in discussing any of the points further or would like to hear about a particular topic, we would be more than happy to hear from you. Feel free to send an email to email@example.com and we will answer any questions you may have.